Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Italian Espresso Chocolate Brownies Sans the Espresso


I found these brownies on Cinnamon and Spice and Everything Nice http://cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-having-brownies-for-breakfast-with.html
and knew right away I had to make them. We recently had our outstanding neighbors over for dessert and drinks and I knew I would try these out on them (poor guinea pigs!). It really was the prefect excuse (shut up! I hear the sniggering… I know I have never required an excuse before). I love baked goods… I really, really do. I ADORE brownies. These were hands down the best I ever had. I did not have instant espresso, so I opted not to use it. Instead I added 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips. Also I baked mine in a 8 x 11 and mine baked for about 55 minutes. They likely COULD have cooked a bit longer but I loved how soft and gewy they came out.

Please note Cinnamon and Spice indicated on the blog that these were adapted from Tyler Florence
Stirring the Pot page 200. I need to get that cookbook I think! I stole the recipe word for world off her blog. I also have to say her pictures are far better, and she has so many other lovely things so go check out her blog http://cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-having-brownies-for-breakfast-with.html


Ingredients

2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for pan
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon Instant Italian Espresso dissolved in 2 tablespoons boiling water or 2 tablespoons Amaretto
1 and 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a 9 by 9 square baking pan (again I jused a 8 x11) with parchment paper, making sure paper hangs over the edges. Grease paper with butter ( I was a real slacker here and used a heavy hand of cooking spray) so the brownies don't stick. Melt butter and chocolate over a double-boiler and stir gently until smooth and shiny. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and set aside. Whisk together eggs, sugar and Espresso in a mixing bowl until combined.




Pour in chocolate mixture and continue to whisk until combined.



Gradually add flour mixture, then add walnuts (this is where I added the chocolate chips) and incorporate with a wooden spoon. Transfer batter to baking pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the pan. When done, invert onto a cutting board, remove paper and cut into squares


I simply have to say one more time that these were just… beyond words. I will be making these again and soon. And I really want to find some espresso powder now too, because I suspect they might border on nirvana with it.

Again, thank you a million times over Cinnamon and Spice and you guys go give her some love! http://cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2009/02/im-having-brownies-for-breakfast-with.html

7 comments:

Everyday Is Delicious said...

I'm so glad you made them and liked them! Weren't they so fudgy and delicious?! They are one of the best brownies I ever had. It's so funny that you did this today. I am trying another brownie recipe tonight and about to blog them. I don't know if they compare to these. Thanks so much for giving me a shout-out and sending love my way, your so sweet!!

Donna-FFW said...

These look so gorgeous. I saw them over at Reenis blog too. They are calling my name...

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have to make them soon - they are too wonderful!

Heather S-G said...

I'll have one for breakfast, please! I'll just have an espresso on the side ;)

Anonymous said...

These brownies are AMAZING! Brownies are my favorite and adding espresso is a great idea. I should definitely try this as I have been craving for something sweet these days.

Dazy said...

I was looking for something new and creative like this. Then tried this awesome recipe. This recipe does not disappoint. It's a snap to prepare and really tasty.

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Thanks for posting this at Chocolate Obsession.

Your brownie looks so fudgy and delcious.

Reeni is known for her photographs but I do think that brownie is up there, also.