Monday, March 23, 2009

I Finally Have Great Buns!


I have this weird affinity for a good yeast roll. Now, I know some of you are wondering what a yeast roll is and the best way I can describe it is, like a parker house roll, but lighter and with a distinct yeast flavor. If you have ever ate at a southern diner or cafeteria and had a roll there… you have had them. I love them. Love ‘em.

However, I have never been able to make them. They mock me… really. I have tried tons of recipes to no avail. Cue the new neighbors. Can I just tell you I love them, for many reasons. They are fun, the are good spirited, they are community builders. They are good folks. However, I simply knew that I had to make them my friends when at Christmas they dropped of some homemade fig jam and a loaf of bread. Why did this endear me to them so much you wonder?? Yes, I am getting to it. Besides being kind and neighborly, that loaf of bread they brought, was none other then my sought after yeast roll, but in a loaf form. Joel and I polished the loaf off in 1 day. No, sadly, I am not joking. So I asked her for the recipe and she gave it to me!! The one thing that struck me about it was, “Man this dough would sure make a good base for a sticky bun.”

I love a good sticky bun (Donna, I can feel you mind in the gutter already) or cinnamon bun. However, they are very, very hard to find. The best I ever had was on my honeymoon in NYC at this little pastry shop off of Amsterdam (I think it was Amsterdam, that or one block up towards the park). ANYWAY, my problem is the dough typically is to dry or tough, that is why I thought this dough would be so good for it. It is soft and gooey.

I was right, so very, very, very, right. These came out so soft, and tender and oooey and gooey…and well YUMMY. Joel ate 4 yesterday, and that was him restraining himself (how he stays so slender….it kills me).

If you just want to make the bread just follow the recipe, I will let you know when I break away from it to make the cinnamon rolls. If you want to make rolls as opposed to a loaf, I would try a muffin tin??? Just a thought.

Starter
1 package of yeast (2 ½ tsp of bulk yeast)
1 c. sugar
3 tbs of instant mashed potatoes (you read that right… just come on the ride with me folks… really)
2 c. of room temperature water

Combine all ingredients in a mason jar, mix together and cover with tin foil with holes poked in it (it must have holes or you will have a mess on your hands). Let starter stand for at least 8 hours or up to 7 days.

Bread

1 c. of starter
½ c. of vegetable oil
¼ c. of Sugar
1 tbs salt
1.5 c. of water
6 c. of bread flour

Combine all in a pam sprayed bowl and mix well with bread kneader or hands (you might want to put some grease on your hands)
Cover with greased wax paper.
Let rise overnight.
Punch it down and divide into 2 loaf pans and let rise for 4 to 8 hours (this is where I break away for the buns go below)
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
When you take them out of the oven take the loaves immediately out of the pans and place on a bakers rack to cool.



For Buns

Filling (this is if you make the full dough recipe, it will make about 20-24 buns)
1 sticks of butter
2 cups brown sugar
1.5 cups of walnuts roughly chopped
2 tbs cinnamon ( I like a lot, but you can use less if you like)


After you punch dough down, still divide and take a coated rolling pin and roll out each of the two sections of dough.
Use half the filling for each and sprinkle over the rolled out dough. Then roll the roll up to from a long log (think jelly roll).
Cut in 1.5 sections and put in buttered baking dish. Let rise 4-8 hours.
Put a pat of butter on each bun and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until it begins to brown on top.

Immediately remove from baking dish and let cool on bakers rake.

Try not to eat them all at once.

And don't forget some ladies that have some pretty nice buns of their own...

Donna http://mytastytreasures.blogspot.com/ She just make a kielbasa soup that looks good… you know how this women loves some kielbasa and if you don’t… you need to go find out why…


Chef E http://cookappeal.blogspot.com/ Please go check out her Ethiopan dishes. Man alive!

Bunny Trails at http://bunnytrailthoughts.blogspot.com/


13 comments:

Heather S-G said...

I love yeasty buns, too!! These look killer...must try! Yum, thanks for posting the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Those look good! Instant mashed potatoes is a neat secret ingredient here. I love sticky buns and cinnamon buns too!

Sara said...

I have actually never made cinnamon rolls at home before, but I've always wanted to try! Yours look great.

Cate said...

nice buns, sis! you are hilarious-just so you know.

well, if there was any question of NOT making these before, when i read the instant mashed potatoes in the ingredient list, it was all over. yum. thanks, neighbors!

Coleens Recipes said...

Nice buns indeed! (insert wolf whistle).

Donna-FFW said...

OMG!! I can not wait to try this one. I will make the bread version, I think. What an awesome secret ingredient. Thank your neighbor for me. I'll let you know when I make it. Thanks for the shout out, nice to know when people think of buns, they think of me. I always favor my buns toasted.

Sweet Cheeks said...

i always like to be toasted when feel some buns, but i guess that is a little different ;)

Chris said...

Funny and yummy too? Great buns and nice post!

Reeni said...

These are so yummy and delicious looking! I love the secret ingredient- who would of thought?

Sweet Cheeks said...

I know, it is odd the instant potatoe, but I wasn't going to question it! I AM curious, what it does though. I need that Good Eats guy... where is he?

Anonymous said...

These look Wonderful! Nice Blog!!

Joie de vivre said...

I love yeast rolls too. My problem is I want to eat them for bfast and they are never ready until dinner! Thanks for the well wishes. I am feeling better today. :)

zerrin said...

cinnamon buns sound perfect as a friend of a cup of coffee. I love them.But I'm not sure I can succeed maiking them.