Thursday, March 5, 2009

Apple and Blue Cheese Coleslaw


In my mind this started as pear, blue cheese and walnut coleslaw, but something happened. The first, and most idiotic thing, was I simply forgot to ask hubby to get walnuts at the market. The second, my husband picked the very best pears the store had to offer and by golly you could play baseball with them. They were little and hard and I wasn’t about to use them. Luckily he got some wonderful cameo apples so I developed a plan B. I still want to try this with the pears, but that is forItalic another day. However, the other thought I had was that it would be great with some pineapple and cilantro… just a thought folks.

1 bag of the coleslaw mix by fresh express (or about ¼- ½ a cabbage shredded and one carrot)
1 apple cut into small pieces
3 heavy tablespoons of blue cheese crumbled
2 tablespoons minced onion
5 sliced of bacon cooked and chopped
½ cup mayo
¼ white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
¼ c. sunflower seeds
Salt and heavy pepper

Mix all ingredients and let set for 1 hour.

4 comments:

Chef E said...

Your not going to believe this but this recipe was a best seller at my cafe, without walnuts because of allergy to nut clients, but this rocks!!!

Now I want a bowl to go with my casserole tonight...

Reeni said...

That has to be the best coleslaw I've ever seen!!! I love all those flavors together, yum!

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds wonderful the way it is, I love the additioon of the sunflower seeds. You captured it well in your photo, I can never get a good shot of cole slaw for some reason, or potato salad for that matter. Yours is lovely,however.

Anonymous said...

You're a perfect planner! I love this combination, especially adding cheese and sunflower seeds into it.