Thursday, March 11, 2010

Clementine Obsession

Really, seriously, I can not stop wanting to put these little lovelies into EVERYTHING. As promised I have some recipes. Well one recipe, one just suggestion of one. The quinoa salad was really good. If you don’t like cilantro, I think you could substitute basil and it would be great.





Quinoa Clementine Salad


2 cup uncooked quinoa (I used red, but any would do)
1 bunch of green onions cut
½ C almond slices toasted
6 clementine’s peeled and sectioned
1 c. (aprox) of loose cilantro leaves
Juice of 3 clementine’s (about ¼ cup)
2 TBS olive oil

Make Quinoa and let cool. Add other 4 ingredients and stir. Add the juice and olive oil, if possible right before serving.

So we went back to get our third bag of clementine’s at Trader Joes. I mean they are so good I can’t stand it. They are sweet with a bit of sour. Mmmm. So today, Joel came home for lunch so I came up with this. I figured he would lover it or hate it. He moaned and gave every impression of deep love. I knew, however, I really struck a cord when he came in a minute ago an told me he was still thinking about the sandwich. Score!




I had a nice multigrain crusty loaf that I got at Trader Joes, but use whatever bread you like. I made a pesto mayonnaise and spread that on both pieces of bread. Then on one side I laid two pieced of bacon, the other one Clementine (peeled and sectioned) and in the middle a ton of arugala. It was really, really good. However, I am a sucker for a salty/sweet or savory/sweet combo and this had all of it, salty, sweet, savory and bitter. Mmmmm. The one thing I would try is a bit of goat cheese. It was wonderful as it was but I always have tendency to want to add cheese (in more ways than one:)


So the real question is… do you think there is a Clementine detox??

14 comments:

Chris said...

Yes, there is detox for them but it requires eating jars of grapefruit sections. You don't want to put your body through that;)

Ashley @ The Happy Little Home said...

oh girl that's how I'm feeling about minneolos (sp?)....That quinoa looks amazing! I'm having that next week for sure.

Joie de vivre said...

I'm glad you're still enjoying Clementines. It's this time of year (you know, when winter is almost over but it's been months and months and will be months and months until any sort of local fruit is in season) that I'd pay just about anything for any fruit OTHER than clementines!

Carla and Michael said...

I have never tried a clementine, but sure wantto now. And what an odd combination for a sandwich, which by the way sounds like it is delicious. Who doesn't love bacon with anything? That's amust try.

Rhandi said...

Your quinoa salad sounds great! I have a similar recipe on my blog without cilantro but with granny smith apples and cranberries- I like this savory version. fantastic idea to put in on a sandwhich, I have never done that with any of my quinoa salads- I can't wait to try it!

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your salad looks and sounds delicious. This was my first visit to your blog. I'll be back often.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Delicious blog wih fantastic recipe u have here ...cheers and wonderful day....

Kitchen Butterfly said...

My family hide clementines/mandarins/tangerines from me cause I eat them by the bag. But they're good for you.....and others too. Like the idea of it in a salad.

Anonymous said...

We are also addicted!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

That salad looks really good. How inspired!

Velva said...

The quinoa salad with clementine and the sandwich look fabulous!

Joie de vivre said...

Thank you, as always, for visiting Mommy! Have a great weekend!

Patty said...

Ooh I love clementines and I love how you're using them, it looks so good!

Cate said...

loooooove clementines. we have a bit of an addiction as well. my husband and i cannot believe the way they just keep showing up at the grocery after all these months. usually, they taper out at around late february.

totally trying that reipe. yummmmmm!