Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Herbed Escolar and Scallops


It often amazes me how little I know. For instance, I would see on some of these lovely blogs I read, seared seafood, often scallops. Try as I might I couldn’t get it. I would get the oil hot, throw in the scallops. In return they would throw off water and I would essentially end up boiling the buggers. I don’t know why it never dawned on me that the oil wasn’t hot enough, but it didn’t. Not until I read something that told me, that the oil had to smoke. Smoke you say?? Isn’t that passe‘? Not at all. I tell you, one tiny bit of knowledge, one that I know all of you had… admit it… you did, has changed my life. There is no meat safe in my house at this point.



2 tbs of chopped parsley
1 tbs chopped oregano
1 tsp chopped rosemary
½ tsp chopped thyme
Salt and pepper
¼ c. vegetable oil
½ lb escolar
½ lb scallops
1 lemon wedge

Heat the oil until smoking (yeah, yeah… I know you knew that!), while heating salt scallops and fish.
Once oil is ready add the fish and scallops and cook until good and brown, turn down the heat to medium low.
When fish is almost done throw the herbs over the fish and cook covered about another 1-2 minutes just until herbs are a bit wilted.
Squeeze with lemon and serve.

Okay my lovely’s now is the time to talk about who I am going to give some blog love to this week. The folks this week will actually get two weeks. The reason is I will be out of town from Saturday until Wed, so that means no blogging for mommy here. However, I am getting out of town, with no children, for four whole days. Yep you heard me right. Do you realize it has been over 4 years (and probably more like 5) since I have had that much time alone with my husband. I am as giddy as a school girl I tell you!

Anyway here are the blogs you need to go visit:

Joie De Vivre at http://joiedevivreanamateurgourmetsguide.blogspot.com/ . Her blog is wonderful and if you go today you can see a shot of her sweet hubby helping out with the kids and cooking! I believe that is a shot of a man never before captured on film (oh come on guys… I am just kidding!!)

Cate at http://tribecayummymummy-cate.blogspot.com/ . I love her blog. I love her pictures and I love her little chefs. Plus her recipes are fabulous. It will make you want to move to NY and hang out with her and let her little chefs whip up some appetizers.

Finally go to Five Star Foodie http://fivestarfoodie.blogspot.com/ she has amazing pictures and some of the most unusual and lovely recipes. She will make you think of ingredients in different ways and I love that.

Finally I just wanted to give a big shout out to one of my blog choices for last week. Donna at http://mytastytreasures.blogspot.com/ gave me an award. It dictates I have to pass it on, and I will be, just not today. Now how is it she is giving me an award while I am profiling her blog. I swear, she really is the best blog buddy.

7 comments:

Chef E said...

I love the fact that you used the word passé! I love it and you!

Sara said...

This looks great, I love scallops! I find that it helps to get the scallops really dry before you put them in the pan too, but you probably knew that already :)

Reeni said...

It looks delicious!! So nice and golden brown. Drying off the scallops helps a little too.

Cate said...

I haven't made or had scallops in ages - it just may be time again...

Donna-FFW said...

Hope you have a great time.. you deserve it.. thats a long time for no alone time.. Id be doing the giddy dance also. I love how you did up the scallops, sounds delicious!! Thank you again for profiling me this past week.. I hope you come back with some details.. oh I hope I dont get yelled at for joking about that!!

Anonymous said...

These scallops sound awesome - we here LOVE scallops! Thanks so much for mentioning my blog here :)

Chris said...

I love scallops seared on a cast iron grate over a grill but I like them seared on a hot pan like that too!

My favorite dipping sauce for scallops is this one:

Japanese Steakhouse-style Golden Shrimp Sauce

Yields: 1 posted as 160156

Ingredients
1 cup mayonnaise
3 teaspoons sugar
3 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons butter
3/4 teaspoon paprika
3/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions
Mix all ingredients together. Chill 24 hours before serving so flavors can meld.