Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Turkey Enchiladas



This is another recipe that is totally unoriginal. Bare with me though, ‘tis the season of traditions and I thought I would share a few of my favorite family recipes with you guys. I will get back to an original recipe tomorrow along with a contest! Some exciting things are happening here at Mommy Gourmet, so tune in over the next few weeks to make sure you don’t miss out on the all the fun!
Okay, besides the chestnut stuffing this recipe is the whole flipping reason for Thanksgiving for me (oh and giving thanks and all that jazz). I will warn you upfront these are not gourmet, or authentic, or fancy, but they are GOOD. I mean, G-O-O-D! I am going to give you the recipe as it was handed down to me, however, true to form I have made some alterations. These alterations were just in eliminating some steps that I don’t think made the end product any better. This is one of those forget the diet and forget the cardiac impact and just enjoy recipes.
12 Tortillas
2 tbs butter
¼ onion minced
1 cup turkey or chicken meat
1 ½ c. half and half or light cream
2c. Sour cream
1 can green chilies chopped
1 lb monetary jack cheese grated
Salt garlic powder
½ c oil
Heat over to 325.
Wilt onion in butter and add meat, and garlic and salt to taste. Add ¾ of the cheese and stir until melted.
In skillet heat oil. In a bowl large enough to dip tortilla in (try a pasta bowl) put the half and half or cream and about ¼ tsp salt and stir. Now fry the tortillas in oil just until soft (5-10 seconds each side) and dip them in the cream.
Put some of the meat (about 1 tbs worth, maybe a scant more)and cheese mixture in, roll, and place into a casserole dish.
Once all the tortillas are rolled pour the remaining cream over.
Add the chilies to the sour cream and add about ¼ tsp salt. Pour over tortillas. Place remaining cheese on top and bake.
I do not know what made me try it, but one year I decided not to fry the tortillas or dip them in cream. Instead I wrapped the tortillas in a barely damp towel and micro waved for 10 second (just to soften) then filled with meat and rolled. After the tortillas were rolled but before I put on the sour cream mixture I took about ¼ c of half and half and poured that evenly over the tortillas. I don’t think there was any difference in the end product and it saved a bit of time.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent recipe! I will definitely try it.