Thursday, December 4, 2008

Banana Nut Bread

Okay, I have a confession. I like food….a lot. I do! All kinds. That said, I do try to eat reasonably healthy. Even more so, I am strict on what my children eat. So the other day I am sick and I read an article on the best ways to stay healthy, (I get the irony) and it suggests cutting back on sugar and processed foods because it lowers your immunity. Ironically at that very moment I had 4 banana’s dangerously close to fermenting. I decided to try a little experiment. I was very pleased with the results. The bread did not come out as sweet as a great deal of banana bread, but it WAS sweet and good. And for a no sugar, whole wheat treat, that my kid calls a cupcake...well they were just perfect.



2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 overripe bananas
1 c. raisins
2 tbs milk
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly oil bread pan/pans (depends on size)

In a food processor processes raisins and milk until very blended or almost smooth. Add banana and pulse a few times.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside Add banana/ raisin mixture. Mix to combine.

Add the melted butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Fold in the nuts. Spoon batter into pan and tap it on the counter to get the air out.

If you do two small loaf pans the bread will only need to cook for about 25 minutes. If you do one larger pan it will need to cook for about 35-40 minutes.

Check doneness with a toothpick or knife. When it comes out mostly clean it is done. Let is sit 20 minutes before eating.

5 comments:

Marie said...

hi there! thanks for commenting on my blog, and my pics. i'd love to get a super nice camera sometime but this'll do for now. i love banana nut bread, and the way it can make your house smell

Unknown said...

Please make some more!!!

Chef E said...

At Christmas my hubby's mom makes me my own loaf with walnuts, and I love it...and pumpkin, zucchini...so I will take a loaf please! YUM, and thanks for visiting my site!

Reeni said...

I bet the bananas sweetened it up a lot. I love banana bread, looks great!

Maris said...

This sounds great! I love all types of banana bread.