Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hungarian Chicken



I am calling this Hungarian Chicken, for lack of a better idea of what to call it. This is how this came into being. It is cold here, and I think to myself, “Hungarian!” I mill it about in my head and finally decided on Chicken Paprika. So at the market I pick up a green pepper. When I got home I look up some recipes, none had green pepper and all called for split chicken breast and I just had boneless/skinless. What?? So what does any good blooded girl do? I called my mom. She said, “No, you are thinking of that pork recipe.” Shoot, she was right…but I had chicken defrosted. Hence the experiment began.

1 package of egg noodles
1 tbs oil
1 onion
1.5 lbs chicken cubed
3 tbs flour
3 cups chicken broth
1 c. white wine
1 green pepper sliced
2 tbs paprika (Hungarian sweet)
1 C. full fat Greek yogurt or sour cream





Sautee onion and chicken for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle 3 tbs flour over mixture and stir to coat.

Add 3 cup chicken broth and 1 tsp thyme and simmer for 20 minutes.

Add pepper to taste, paprika, 1 cup of dry white wine (preferably not a chardonnay) and sliced green pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile prepare egg noodles.

Turn the burner down. Scoop the yogurt (or sour cream if you want) into a bowl. Add to the yogurt about ½ of the hot sauce from the pan and stir and then add the yogurt mixture to the pan with the chicken and green pepper. Add the hot liquid to the yogurt fist and than adding that mixture to the pan should prevent you from getting a lumpy or grainy texture from the yogurt curdling.


Sever over noodles and enjoy.

6 comments:

Chef E said...

Yum, I keep seeing these warm noodle dishes and will have to make one this week!

Reeni said...

What a delicious dish! It looks so creamy, yum!

Anonymous said...

Well done... that sounds Hungarily comforting. i coulda used that tonight. such. a. long. week.

Sweet Cheeks said...

Abadeeba, if I could I would send you some! Sorry you had a long week, hope tomorrow will put an end to it??

joanh said...

i bet it was still great.. looks yummy :)

Maggie said...

My parents made chicken paprikash often when I was a kid and it was one of my favorite meals. This looks delicious and comforting.