Thursday, February 26, 2009

Scallop and Crab Cakes with Goat Cheese and Capers



Some things are just serendipitous, I think this was one of those times. This recipe was inspired a bit by something I saw on a menu while in Virginia Beach. My intention was to use lump crab meat and nothing else to make these. However, at the end of the day, I could not bring myself to pay $28/lb for the stuff. So I got to brainstorming and I thought of scallop pieces and could not have been happier with how it turned out. I served them topped with lemon aioli, but they were also perfect with nothing.

1 lb of scallop pieces (you can find them at a seafood market, if not chop up scallops)
½ lb crab
½ c. mayo
½ c. of panko bread crumbs
2 eggs
2 Tbs capers
3 oz. soft goats cheese


Mix all ingredients together and let set in the fridge for about an hour. Note, add just enough bread crumbs until the mixture starts to hold together a bit, you may not need all of them so add a bit at a time. It should feel thick, not runny. To form the cakes I used a half cup measure. I also broiled them as opposed to pan frying. My oven has the broiler in the oven not underneath, which allows me to but as much space as I need between the flame and the food. If you just have a bottom broiler, put them in a 400 oven for about 10-15 minutes and just finish off under the broiler. Cook until golden brown and set. It made 6 ½ c. cakes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those cakes look delicious! Great idea to use scallops.

Donna-FFW said...

Love the sound of this. Id enjoy one with a beer I think:) I left you an award on my blog, come pick it up..

Sweet Cheeks said...

The scallops really worked lovely and for like $5/lb for the pieces versus the 28.... well... it was a no brainer for me.

Chef E said...

Oh my how I wish I was eating some of your leftovers right now! This look fantastically delicious!

Sweet Cheeks said...

I have to say, they came out GOOD :)