Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lemon Drop Martini


My husband is not a big drinker. You are talking about a guy that will often start a beer, and not finish it. Luckily for the economy I have never had quite the affliction. About a week ago, I was wanting a tangy drink. I have never had a lemon drop martini, but in my mind that is what I wanted. This is my lemon drop recipe. My husband has asked for it almost every night since. I am beginning to think I have created a monster!

2 shots (1.5 ounce) of vodka
1 shot of fresh lemon juice (about a medium size lemon)
1 ounce (or just a hair less for me) of agave syrup… I really use about ¾ an once, but it is an eyeball thing
Sugar to rim the glass

I just love a rimmed glass. Do not ask me why. I don’t think it is a flavor thing… I think it is a presentation thing. It just feels more special. I could never get it right before and a couple years back I read you should use lemon to coat the rim (I was using water) and like magic it worked. So start with slicing of a bit of lemon and rimming the glass, and set that lemon wedge aside for squeezing later. I put about 2 tbs of sugar in a dish and than flip my glass on to the dish and give it a little twist in the sugar.

Fill your cocktail shaker about ½ -¾ full crushed ice. Add to it your ingredients (1 ounce is 2 tablespoons if that helps) and shake really well. Note if you don’t have agave syrup, and lets face it…not many of us do, you can use a simple syrup. Pour into glass. Be careful, these go down extraordinarily easy. The recipe makes 2 drinks.

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I have died and gone to heaven. This drink is on my list for Saturday night. If I can wait that long. OH YES! LOVE it! It looks outstanding!

Anonymous said...

I love this lemon drop martini. I can just feel the sour flavor of lemon and warmth of vodka through my stomach. I love that sugar part as well, it's really nice to lick it with each sip.
I'm not familiar with agave syrup and syrup in general. You say I can replace it any kind of syrup; is grape molasses or honey or pomegrenate sauce a kind of syrup? Do you mean such things?

Anonymous said...

yummy! thanks for sharing.

Cate said...

mommy gourmet, only you could turn your non-drinking husband into a lemon drop lush. love it!

and zerrin, you really sold me on something i was already thinking sounded pretty divine. AND you made me giggle.

ok, done. making it.

Rico said...

Wow that Martini looks so delicious, and with the sugar frosting way hey lemme have it

Carrie said...

I love it this drink! It's perfect for summer!