Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chocolate Chili

Okay, this past week we were sick. I know summer is not exactly chili weather but when I am sick I want comfort food. My husband made this and it was good. This is a VERY meaty chili (did I tell you my husband made it?) however, you can swap about a can a chili beans per half a pound of meat.
2 pounds lean ground beef
2 medium onions
2 28 oz. can of petite diced tomatoes
4 15oz cans of kidney beans
1 tsp pepper
1 TBS minced garlic (or more if you like)
3 TBS chili powder (we used hot Mexican)
2 TBS cumin
3 TBS soy sauce
3 TBS coco powder
Sautee onions for 2 minutes add beef and season with salt and pepper. Cook beef until done. In stock pot add remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes. Taste. One note about the soy, soy is a great way to salt a dish and add a richness at the same time. However, add a tablespoon at a time, too much and it will taste like a bad fusion dish. If you don’t have coco powder but do have a very dark chocolate add a bit of it instead. It will give a rich full flavor. Adjust seasonings to taste and preferred heat level.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I'll have to try adding chocolate to my favorite chili recipe. I have alwasy heard that it adds sucha great depth of flavor.