Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Love Affair Continues

Ahhh Penzeys! I finally, finally made it to their store in Carry Town. For those of you around Richmond, it is right next to Dogma. It is such a great store. As I have said, I have long been a fan of Penzeys, but it was a whole other world getting to go to the store. I felt like a kid in a candy store. It was such a sensory experience. On the inside everything is a bit brown paper bag plain, but I think that is so your whole being can go into experiencing the spices. I loved being able to pick up the sample jars and smell them. It totally got my idea juices flowing. I started making up recipes right there. Here are some of my favorite reasons to check out Penzeys:
#1 Chinese Cassia Cinnamon (literally, so sweet naturally it tastes like cinnamon sugar that is just light on the sugar)
#2 Rojo Taco Seasoning (Just no words, make a lime sour cream, and use corn tortillas--forgetaboutit!)
#3 Double Strength Vanilla (really, must I say more?)
#4 Cumin (hands down better than any cumin I have ever had)
#5 Powdered Lemon Peel (my new favorite, great summer flavor, try it with some onion, a can of chick peas, green pepper, chopped fresh basil and hard boiled egg, add a 1/4 tsp lemon powder, 1 TBS lemon juice, and 1/2 tbs olive oil. It is like a mouthfull of fresh!!)

2 comments:

Kate McHugh said...

Can't wait to check this place out!

BTW I'm a new convert to dried mint... I got a huge bag from 3M (mediterranean market and restaurant) to try to recreate the mint tea I had in Tunisia. I then started to put it in lamb stews,etc. Definitely worth giving it a try!!

Kate McHugh said...

Oh and be sure to remove the stems!!!