Thursday, August 7, 2008

Zucchini Pasta for Two

I haven’t had this yet, but apparently is so good that has been a summer staple over at my folks house this summer. This is a recipe of my mothers making. It apparently started its incarnation with just the zucchini, onion and seasoning and that is how they had it several times. Tonight she had a couple tomatoes and threw them is as well and thought it was too good not to share. She said this was born out of an over abundance of zucchinis this year that needed to be used. She promises that she will share a zucchini with me so I can try this lovely creation….however the summer is almost over and she is just NOW telling me about it. I don’t hold out much hope, I think they just might be enjoying it too much to share right now!
2TBS butter
1TBS olive oil
½ onion diced
1 small zucchini diced
2 medium tomatoes chopped
Salt
Pepper
2 cloves garlic
Basil
½ lb pasta
Parmesan


Put past on to cook meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil together. Add onion saute just until soft. Add diced zucchini and cook about 5 minutes, just until almost done, but not mushy. Season with garlic, salt, pepper and basil to taste. Add tomatoes cook 3-5 more minutes or until heated through. Serve over pasta and grate fresh parmesan over.

2 comments:

Swestie said...

Girl, I've been cooking that for years!! Add some olives. Yum. I love your photo! DID YOU CUT YOUR HAIR TOO?

Swestie said...

Vanessa, Another great thing to do with zuchini (especially if you're trying to disguise it) is to slice it into strips with a veggie peeler. I usually can't get John to eat very much zuchini, but when I did this, sauteed it w. some olive oil and garlic, and put it on a sandwich w. pesto and turkey, and grilled the sandwich, he LOVED it and even said I should cook it more.