Monday, May 12, 2008

Ginger Balls


1 lb ground chicken
1lb ground pork
2 eggs
¾ of a 5 oz can bamboo shoot (minus some)
¼ onion
1 carrot finely grated
1.5 TBS soy
1.5 TBS fish sauce
1 tsp salt
1.5 TBS grated ginger (I used some fresh and some jar)

I had to play around with this some so bare with me. combine all ingredients. I found that one whole can of the bamboo looked like a bit too much, so I used about ¾ of the can. I started with fresh minced ginger and found that gave bits of intense ginger flavor but not a great overall ginger flavor so I went back and added 1TBS of jarred grated ginger.

Form small balls and fry. I plan to make another noodle salad with the leftovers and add these. Also, I got the ground chicken thinking that would be a healthier alternative to all pork. I thought having the half and half mixture would give me the richness of pork but some of the health benefits of chicken. Only to find out the pork is just as lean/or not lean (depends if you are half full or empty sort of person) as the chicken. So in the future, for me, it will be all pork.


Dipping Sauce

1 TBS sugar
1 TBS Ketchup
1/3 C water
1/3 C vinegar
1TBS fish sauce
1 tsp corn starch
Pinch of red pepper flakes

Cook and stir until thick

No comments: