Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Curried Salmon over Golden Raisin Brown Rice


1 lb salmon
4 tbs butter divided
1 clove of garlic grated or crushed
1 tsp corn starch
½ c. milk
2 tbs cream
1 tbs plus 1 tsp (divided )of sweet curry (I used Penzey’s)
½ tsp salt
1tbs soy
2 tsp brown sugar (could use honey or agave too)
1 roasted read pepper
1 medium onion sliced
2 tbs dry vermouth
Salt and pepper


I have to be honest. I almost abandoned this recipe. It wasn’t coming out right. I added a bit of this and that and almost pitched it and stated over. I couldn’t get the richness I wanted. I thought I needed coconut milk and didn’t have any, but the brown sugar hit the notes I wanted. I am so glad I didn’t give on this. It is one of my favorite dishes of late, and I WILL be making this again. That said, I think that the roasted red peppers get pretty lost in the dish and I ended up using the sugar to give the sweet I was looking for. I would say, if you have them put them in. The red pepper surely made it pretty, with flecks of red spotted off the mustard colored curry. I just am not totally convinced that it made much difference in the flavor of the dish.

In a small skillet heat 2 tbs of butter. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
Meanwhile in a small dish, whisk together milk and corn starch. Add that to the butter and garlic.
Then add the cream, salt, soy, red pepper (if you have), 1 tablespoon of curry and sugar. Heat until thick and set aside.

In a separate skillet heat remaining 2 tbs of butter and sauté onions over low heat until nice and brow and soft.
Add the teaspoon of curry and stir.
Add vermouth and cook for 1 minute.
Salt and pepper fish.
Place the salmon in the dish with onions, turn heat up to medium high. Cook salmon for one minute, flip and cook on other side one minute.
Reduce heat to medium low and pour you curry sauce on top. Cook for another 5-8 minutes.





Rice
I served the salmon over rice. I used brown but you can use whatever rice you like. If you use anther type of rice, just cook it to the package instructions.

1 cup brown rice
3 cups of water
3 bullion cubes
2 tsp curry
½ c. golden raisins

Put everything in a pot and bring to a boil, stir to incorporate the bullion, cover and cook for 45 minutes over low heat.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds excellent! I love all the flavors!

Sweet Cheeks said...

I do have to say, I was really happy with how it came out. I love salmon though.

Chef E said...

Me too, some of my Salmon candy almost ended up like this last night!

I have over stated things before and it is disappointing when its is not what you are aiming for, but yours look delish girl!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you didn't give up on the dish, salmon and brown sugar go deliciously together :).

The Food Hunter said...

Always looking for new ways to cook salmon. Thanks

Rico said...

Simply delish. and nice photo too.. cheers thx for sharing