Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bacon and Swiss Mac and Cheese


The Gourmet Gastronomer is having a Mac and Cheese off and I just had to get in on the action. Please go by the site and vote for my mac and cheese!!! http://www.gourmetgastronomer.com/ .



5 pieces of lean bacon chopped(I use one marketed as low fat, normal bacon just a lean cut)
3 tbs shallot
2 tbs flour
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. dry white wine or vermouth
2 c. swiss
1 cup (dry) macaroni cooked
½ tsp salt

Topping
2 hamburger buns
1 small clove of garlic
3 tbs parsely
2 tbs butter
Pinch of salt and pepper



Cook your one cup of dry macaroni according to package. Drain and set aside.
Heat over to 350 and put in hamburger bun and cook 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook chopped bacon until done.
Add shallots into pan with bacon. Sautee for 3 minutes.
Add flour and stir to coat.
Add wine and cook over low heat until sauce thickens.
Add heavy whipping cream. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
Add Swiss cheese and salt. Cook until melted and sauce smooth.
Remove from heat.


In food processor add clove of garlic and 2 tbs of parsley and pulse about 10 times. Add butter and pulse another 5 times. Add toasted buns and pulse until mixture looks fine. Add last tablespoon of parsley and pulse 3 times.

Mix together macaroni and sauce and pour into a baking dish. Top with bread mixture and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

6 comments:

Swestie said...

Yumeroo!

Chef E said...

How clever using those buns! I like this...not really into mac and cheese but this would sway me to try this one...

Cate said...

swooooooon!

Joie de vivre said...

Okay, I'll vote just for you. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping! You had me at "bacon" on this one... sounds delish.

How about individual servings of the mac n cheese with an extra sprinkle of cheese and slid under the broiler... yum!

An Apron Straitjacket said...

I'm pretty sure my hubby would buy me a new pair of shoes if I made this for him!