Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Porcini, Beef and Wine….Oh My!


I made this about a two weeks ago. We had had our first cold snap and a good wine stew called to me. This is a bit of a variation on a wine stew I have made for years. It came out quite well. I also made a whole wheat loaf with balsamic and parmesan and it was great with the stew.

¾-1 lb beef (I happened to use filet, typically would not, but I got the whole tenderloin so it was less that most other cuts of beef)
¼ c seasoned flour (salt, pepper, red pepper, whatever you like)
1tbs oil
2 large potatoes cut into large chunks
3 large carrots cut into chunks
3 stalks of celery cut into large chunks
1 large onion halved then quartered
½ cup dried porcini
2 cup beef stock
1 bottle of dry red wine
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs browning sauce (if you don’t have this try ½ c. of old coffee)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp dry thyme or rosemary
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt


I like the vegetables nice and chunky, but if you like smaller bits, go a head and cut them up to your liking.

Cut beef into pieces (again I like mine a bit bigger) and coat with your seasoned flour. Heat oil over medium high heat and add coated beef to brown. Add all ingredients except the potatoes. Cook for at least and hour over a medium low heat.

Add potatoes and cook another 20-30 minutes or until done. Enjoy!!

7 comments:

Chris said...

I'm sorry.....did you just say you used beef tenderloin in a stew? No you did not. Seriously? ;)

How did it turn out compared to a tougher cut of beef that you would normally use? Did the lack of fat cause any issues?

It looks great, either way!

elif said...

This meal really deserves an "Oh My!":)I wanted to eat while reading the ingredients.Thank you..
Loves..

Sweet Cheeks said...

I did. It broke down more (clearly). As opposed to having piece of meat (which I prefer) it was more like shredded (think BBQ_

Donna-FFW said...

This sounds fantastic, a perfect winter meal.

Hampers said...

Oh my god..It looks yummy. Want to taste while going through the recipe. Wine will better with it. Enjoyed the recipe very much.

Kristen said...

I'm looking at making stew in the next week - 'tis the season - yours looks delish

Chef E said...

I just realized I am not getting you in my feed until all of a sudden there you are!

Love this...going to watch the jail bird video, or is he on the lamb again? :)