Friday, October 31, 2008

Pork and Kraut

3-5 lb pork(pork loin, pork butt, pork ribs)
1 large can crushed tomato
1 large onion diced
3 large carrots shredded
2 tbs sugar
½ tsp (or more) red pepper
2tsp salt
1 bag of sauerkraut and liquid
1 tbs olive oil


This dish always lets me know winter is here. Depending on the cut of meat you use this can be an extremely healthy dish (use a pork loin if you want it be be more healthy). I must confess, this is one time I go whole hog (pardon the pun.. I just had to!!). I use a Boston butt typically on this. Ribs are outstanding too. Obviously both are fatty meat, but sometimes you just got to be bad and this is worth it to me. It is hearty and down home with a little bit of spice (or a lot if you like it). You can also add some bacon in if you want to really, really be bad but I normally don’t. I have also thought about trying a bit of smoky paprika….maybe next time.
Add oil to pot and heat. Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Season meat. Place meat on bottom and add the remaining ingredients. I usually make this with a Boston butt, however it is great with ribs but shouldn’t need to cook quite as long. Bring to a boil and reduce and let simmer for 2.5-3 hours or until meat is done and tender. When I say tender, this should be fall apart tender. So if you are doing ribs you might want to get a spoon to pull them out otherwise they will just fall apart. Check periodically while it is cooking to keep liquid level up, add a bit of water as needed. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes.

No comments: