Monday, February 16, 2009

Quaker True Delight Bars


Part of being a featured publisher with Foodbuzz is that periodically you get to try new products. A while back they sent me the new Quaker True Delight bars. Now, let me just say upfront I love a granola bar. I do. I think it stems from my childhood. I was happy with the original hard ones, then low and behold….they had SOFT granola bars. It was like the stuff of fairies and make believe. It was like soft chocolate chip cookies out of a package. It was like magic. Now, though my amazement at their novelty has waned, I still love a good granola bar…however it might come. So I was excited about Quakers new endeavor.

Let me say a couple things before I get into analyzing these, and the first is just an observation my husband made. He said, “Look, it has whole nuts in it.” That was completely overlooked my yours truly. At first I thought, “So?” However, I will say, in retrospect, that while I apparently inhaled mine too quickly to notice the nuts I think whole nuts are kinda nice. It does make it seem more…I dunno… grown up. The second thing is, I read some folks reviews of food and it impresses me. The talk about the notes in the food, the balance of a dish… and so on. This gal here… I am a plain old, good/bad sort of gal. I won’t be able to tell you about the high or low notes or the balance. I am just going to tell you pure and simple what this old girl thought about them. Do with it what you will.


There were three flavors. Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond, Honey Roasted Cashew Mixed Berry, and Toasted Coconut Banana Macadamia Nut. Here are my general observations:

Dark Chocolate Raspberry Almond. It was very good. I love raspberry though. However, the chocolate gets totally lost. I think I would have left the chocolate off.

Honey Roasted Cashew Mixed Berry: It was fine. A good solid granola bar experience, however the cashew gets lost so it is pretty ordinary.

Toasted Coconut Banana Macadamia Nut-- This was the best to me. Which is a bit surprising because I am very VERY particular about banana. I love fresh banana, however I tend not to like banana flavored things. I did not go into this with very high hopes, but it was wonderful. However, I wish they had taken the chocolate the raspberry didn’t need and used it with this, because banana and chocolate to me, is one of the best flavor combinations on earth.
\

1 comment:

Chef E said...

I wished they would come out with an apricot and white chocolate, or maybe I should make one up! Eat one for me, oats are not on the menu for two months...